Saturday, December 5, 2009

Lulu's Christmas Cookies - Coming Soon


The above Sunbonnet Sue block was found in the bottom of Lulu's 3 legged sewing and mending basket after she passed away in 1992. I recall her making these blocks for baby quilts that she made with the ladies group at church in Duluth, MN back in the 1940's when I was a little girl.
***
By the time we moved to California in the early 1950's she had given up doing any quilting, but still was an avid embroiderer. I was really surprised that she had kept this all those years.
I intend at some point to make a Sunbonnet Sue quilt and use this block for the center. I might keep it to her style of using black running stitching around all the pieces, but I also like the look of buttonhole stitching around the "Sues." I'm thinking that my 1930's feed sack collection and maybe a few 30's repros might be good for this project. What do you thing?
***
So, I don't mean to confuse anyone and I KNOW that this isn't my stitching blog, but in trying to find a picture of Mum to post, I found this one and had to show it.
***
On December 11th or 12th I will begin posting Lulu's Christmas recipes here. I chose that date because I have to take some cookies to share with my stitching group at our Holiday party on the 12th. I'm being forced to start baking a bit earlier than I would otherwise. I usually sew gifts until the 17th, mail them on the 18th and then begin baking!
***
This year I will have 2 of Lulu's great-granddaughters here for Christmas and I need to bake more than I usually do for friendship gifts and for G and I to eat. There are so many cookies and treats she used to make - at least 2 dozen! We always had a card table in the front room stacked high with cookie tins to share with visitors. I just may have a problem deciding which recipes to share with you.
***
Stay Tuned for a real Sugar Fest!

No comments: