Saturday, August 16, 2008

Lulu's Zucchini Bread


Today I used the last large zucchini to make Mum's Zucchini Bread. This picture is a little sad, but the loaves are not very high because, even though her recipe says it makes 2 loaves, AFTER I baked it in 2 pans, I remembered that I used to just make 1 regular loaf and 1 mini-loaf. So, it's not very pretty, but it sure tastes good! It's very moist and if you look close you can see I had a bit of trouble getting one of them out of the pan. Since it is so warm here, I didn't want to turn on my oven to bake these. They were baked in my new-to-me Toastmaster Roaster Oven that G found at the flea market a couple weeks ago. Mum used to have a similar thing made by Westinghouse in the 1950's and 1960's and she passed it on to me at some point. Of course at some point over the years, I sold it I guess. In a heatwave OR for the holidays these free-standing roaster ovens really come in handy!
Lulu's Zucchini Bread
3 eggs, beaten
1 C. oil (I used Crisco Oil)
2 C. sugar
2 C. grated raw zucchini
1 T. vanilla
2 C. flour
1/4 t. baking powder
2 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
1 T. cinnamon
1 C. chopped nuts of choice
optional: 1 C. raisins
  • Prepare your pans by spraying them and dusting with sugar if desired.
  • Sift the dry ingredients and set aside.
  • Blend eggs, oil and sugar well.
  • To the egg mixture add the zucchini and vanilla
  • Add the sifted dry ingredients to the wets and combine well.
  • Add in the nuts and raisins if you are using them.

Pour into pans. I have made 4 mini-loaves from this recipe or 1 large loaf and 1 mini-loaf. As I recall I have also made this in a 9" x 13" cake pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 min. to 1 hour depending on your pan size. The mini-loaves will take less time. When out of the oven I let the pans sit 10 min before I tried to turn out the bread. Perhaps 15 min. would be better. OR....you could line the bottom of your pans with parchment paper. There would be no worry if you choose to bake this in a 9"x13" pan! I may do that next time.

Notes:

  • You can sprinkle a little powdered sugar over the loaves or dress them up with a little homemade glaze. A quick glaze can be made by adding a little water to some canned frosting!
  • I see a little note Mum made by the sugar and it appears you could cut the sugar to 1.5 C.
  • Next time I make this I will try using 3/4 C. oil instead of the full cup. I might also buy some of that alternative to shorting made from fruit pulp or try it using applesauce for all or most of the oil to make this a bit more heart healthy.
  • I can't eat nuts and G doesn't like raisins, so ours was plain and G-G-GREAT!

Nummmmmmmmmmm!

No comments: