Also note: Mum's recipe calls for #2 cans of everything and with todays packaging changes I just would make sure that the ounce amounts of each ingredient are equivalent. As I recall, #2 cans were just a little larger than a soup can - or wait a minute........were those the #303 cans! Maybe the #2 were the big chubby cans! UPDATE: Thanks to Lil of Recipes from the Heart (see link on side) I have been able to add in the ounce equivalents for the numbered cans in Mum's recipe! I found a comprehensive list here.
Marinated Bean Salad
- 1/2 C. sugar
- 1/2 C. vinegar
- 1/3 C. oil
- #2 can (2-1/2 Cups) of green beans, reserve 1/2 the liquid
- #2 can (2-1/2 Cups) julienne beets, drained & rinsed
- #2 can (2-1/2 Cups) red kidney beans, reserve 1/2 the liquid
- #2 can (2-1/2 Cups) garbanzo beans, reserve 1/2 the liquid
- 1 red onion, peeled, halved & sliced thinly into 1/2 rings
- Optional: 1/2 to 1 C. diced or sliced green pepper
- Combine reserved liquid, sugar, vinegar and oil in large bowl.
- Put all beans, onions & beets into bowl and mix well.
- Cover bowl and leave overnight in refrigerator.
- Drain before serving cold the next day.
NOTE: If you are not overly fond of beets, you can use a smaller can. They add nice color to the salad, but if you don't drain and rinse them well, they will turn the entire salad red!