Friday, August 1, 2008

Lulu's Bean Salad

Note: I apologize for not having a picture of this salad, which I recall as being very good and very pretty! Mum made it often, but I do not make it unless we are going to a potluck or having a lot of company for a barbeque. Reason? My other half, aka G, dislikes/hates/abhors beets of any sort. It might be me only but I just don't think this salad is the same without beets which I love.

Also note: Mum's recipe calls for #2 cans of everything and with todays packaging changes I just would make sure that the ounce amounts of each ingredient are equivalent. As I recall, #2 cans were just a little larger than a soup can - or wait a minute........were those the #303 cans! Maybe the #2 were the big chubby cans! UPDATE: Thanks to Lil of Recipes from the Heart (see link on side) I have been able to add in the ounce equivalents for the numbered cans in Mum's recipe! I found a comprehensive list here.


Marinated Bean Salad
  • 1/2 C. sugar
  • 1/2 C. vinegar
  • 1/3 C. oil
  • #2 can (2-1/2 Cups) of green beans, reserve 1/2 the liquid
  • #2 can (2-1/2 Cups) julienne beets, drained & rinsed
  • #2 can (2-1/2 Cups) red kidney beans, reserve 1/2 the liquid
  • #2 can (2-1/2 Cups) garbanzo beans, reserve 1/2 the liquid
  • 1 red onion, peeled, halved & sliced thinly into 1/2 rings
  • Optional: 1/2 to 1 C. diced or sliced green pepper
  • Combine reserved liquid, sugar, vinegar and oil in large bowl.
  • Put all beans, onions & beets into bowl and mix well.
  • Cover bowl and leave overnight in refrigerator.
  • Drain before serving cold the next day.

NOTE: If you are not overly fond of beets, you can use a smaller can. They add nice color to the salad, but if you don't drain and rinse them well, they will turn the entire salad red!

No comments: