When I want to make these, I store the rind in the fridge until I have enough to make this recipe.
- Peel and cut rind into 1" cubes until you have 10 C. of cubes.
- Soak the cubes overnight in 2 quarts of water into which you have dissolved 6 T. of salt
- In the morning, drain the rind cubes well.
- Add fresh water to the pot and cook cubes until tender.
- In another pot, heat to boiling:
4 C. Sugar
2 C. White Vinegar
- In a piece of cheesecloth or a cheesecloth bag put:
6 sticks cinnamon
2 T. Whole Allspice
2 T. Whole Cloves
- Put cooked rind cubes and spice packet into the syrup.
- Simmer 45 minutes until rind is transparent.
- Pack into hot jars and cover with syrup up to 1/8" of the top. Wipe any syrup from the edge of the jars. Seal at once.
Makes 3 quarts or 6-1/2 pints of pickles.